Follow me:

Instagram

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Importance of Networking

Hello All!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days but I'm trying to work out a schedule for when I'm going to post (and what I should post about).  I'm thinking 3 times a week (it could be more but 3 is the number I'm going to promise weekly).

As you can see by this blogs title I'm going to be talking about how important it is to network.
When you're searching for a job, sometimes the only way you can secure an interview is by asking your personal connections for a recommendation or simply the opportunity to get your foot in the door.  A piece of advice I've gotten over and over again is "to reach out to your family, friends, and acquaintances and ask them if they know anyone in your field?"  This might not lead to a job but if you ask someone you're close to for that persons email address or phone number that's a major step.  After reaching out you can setup a meeting where you can talk about the field with your new connection.  Don't be afraid to ask if it's ok if you keep in contact with them and occasionally ask for advice.  Obviously, when you meet with this person you'll have to do your best to impress them.  Once you impress them (which I'm sure you will) they could recommend you to other companies who may have a job or may call you down the line with a possible position.

Case in point, the other day my supervisor from my internship called me with a possible lead for a position I may be interested in.  She had taken the liberty to talk with that person and give them an informal review of my work.  She then contacted me and mentioned how she thought I would be perfect for this position.  Fingers crossed this could be the end to my job search!!!!!  But it's such a sweet gesture when someone thinks of you first for a position and wants to see you get a job.

It's extremely important that with every person you meet you make a good impression and hope that they will remember you!


Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment