Follow me:

Instagram

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Closet Remodel and Organization Tips

*Disclaimer- I am no expert (I'm not a member of The Amanda's or an interior decorator) but I am someone who has a shopping addiction and needed to make room in my closet for all of my clothes.

I wouldn't classify my closet as tiny but I will say that there was a lot of wasted space in there.  My closet initially had one wire rack hanging straight across.  Sure, it provided ample space but not enough for a shopping addict like myself.  The picture below shows my closet after I raised the rack up.
As you can see in the picture there was a lot of wasted space in my closet.  To make the most of the closet I decided to add another wire rack about half way down the wall which spans 3/4 of the wall.  I didn't want the rack to go the whole distance because I needed to leave some space for dresses and gowns.

I wanted to initially place my shirts on the top rack and the pants on the bottom but I really wanted to utilize the second shelf as storage so I needed to switch my original plan (which wasn't really a big deal).  I took this picture to see what I liked better.

As I was cleaning my closet out I realized I had way too many shoes and needed to add some sort of shoe organizer.  I couldn't add a door shoe rack because my doors are accordion style but I did have an empty wall that was not being used.  I added some tracks, shelves and brackets to make a shoe rack.



Here is the view of my almost finished closet.  I still need to play around with where things are going but overall I am happy with the design of the closet.  After I took this picture I moved my blazers from the bottom rack to the top one.  I also hung all of my cardigans which you can see in the last picture. I bought baskets from The Christmas Tree Store and Marshalls/Home Goods.  Unfortunately, with stores such as Home Goods once you find something you like, chances are you will not find a match.  If you can see in the picture below I have a black weaved basket that has a chevron fabric lining in it.  I simply love this basket and wanted to buy a few more but I could not find any that matched this one anywhere.  So I just picked ones that matched the color scheme in my room.  

The finished bottom rack!

Some tips and tricks for your closet remodel:
1. No space is too small.  You need to make your closet work for you.  I would love to have a walk in closet but I simply don't have the room for that but I feel like I added enough storage space.
2. Double hang your jeans.  Jeans are thick and often take up a lot of room.  If you hang two pairs of jeans on a hanger it reduces the amount space you are taking up.
3.  Color coordinate and hang like items together.  I decided to hang solid tank tops, printed tanks, solid shirts, printed shirts, solid blouses, printed blouses, solid cardigans, printed cardigans, and work dresses.  The top rack is skirts, casual pants (khakis), jeans, dress capris, dress pants, and blazers.  Then in the right hand corner I have maxi dresses, sun dresses, and formal dresses.
4. Buy the same hangers.  It makes you closet just look put together.  I obviously have not cared this out but I intend to switch all my hangers over to the ones I have my pants on. 
5. Buy little bins to keep miscellaneous items in like belts, small accessories, extra hangers, etc.

Remodeling your closet it is a great opportunity to purge your closet of things you simply don't wear.  Take this opportunity to donate your clothing that you haven't worn in 3 months to a local shelter.  Your closet will thank you and you will feel better because you'll be organized and you will be helping those in need.

All the best!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment