Follow me:

Instagram

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Surfing for Autism Awareness

Hello all!!!

I just got back from an amazing day of volunteering with the Autism Family Services of New Jersey (AFSNJ) at their 8th annual Beach Bash.  The Beach Bash partners with Surfers Healing, a non-profit organization that seeks to enrich the lives of people living with autism by exposing them to the unique experience of surfing.  Founded by Izzie and Danielle Paskowitz, Surfer's Healing provides children with Autism the opportunity to enjoy something that maybe they wouldn't normally get to do.   

Now, AFSNJ's Beach Bash is a day for the whole family to enjoy.  Vendors from various organizations setup tents and share with the families the many great services they provide for the Autism community.  I had never volunteered for the Beach Bash before but I had heard so many wonderful things about the event that I just had to work it this year!  I am so glad I was given the opportunity to watch this fantastic event.  I was amazed at how patient and caring the surfers from Surfers Healing were.  Many of these guys come from California and are professional surfers who volunteer their time to work with these children.  Not only are they surfers but they are activist who believe that Autistic children have the same right to do what every other kid is doing.  Many of these children are a little hesitant at first but with the coaxing of the surfers each one of kids leaves the water with a huge smile on their faces.   What truly shocked me is these surfers are able to balance on the boards and lift children up and have them stand on the board as well (which I don't think I'd be able to do).  
Here's a video from a different Surfers Healing event from California that truly captures what an amazing event this is!    




I don't want to tell you what to do but I think everyone should please consider donating to this OUTSTANDING cause.  The Surfers Healing events are completely FREE for the children and with 
contributions from generous donors Surfers Healing can provide more surf camps each year. Here's the link to the organization if you want to get a little more information or if you would like to donate to them! http://www.surfershealing.org/index.html

Check out this link for a great clip on Izzy and his family: http://paskowitz.com/

Now here are a few of the pictures that I took from my phone... I was busy volunteering so I didn't get to take as many photos as I would have liked though.  

Early morning surf session for some of the surfers

Some of the Surfers Healing Surfers

Some children out surfing



No comments:

Post a Comment